Sunday, March 13, 2011

diy:: diaper cake

Last week I made a diaper cake to send to my cousin for her baby shower. It was so hard waiting to put the pictures up, but I had to wait for the shower. This was my first attempt at making a diaper cake and I think it came out quite well!

Since I was mailing my diaper cake across the country, I made it a little bit smaller than most that I have seen. I used 100 diapers, 4 receiving blankets, 6 onesies, 2 bibs, 2 hats, 2 pairs of socks, 1 security blanket, ribbon, and various items to add on ( teething ring, book, pacifiers, rattles).

The first step is creating the ring of diapers. I used 4 different sized cake pans and spiraled the diapers inside longways (that sounds confusing-the picture will help). I did this until I couldn't fit any more diapers and tied it with ribbon to stay.

Then, I removed them from the cake pans and used safety pins to attach a receiving blanket to each tier (I folded the receiving blankets to match the height of the diapers). Once I was ready to stack them, I put a wrapping paper tube down the center to keep the tiers together. You don't need to worry about your safety pins showing because they will be covered up.

Now begins the fun part! Start draping any onesies, bibs, hats, and socks that you have. I spread mine apart and varied them between tiers making sure I could still see the cute receiving blankets! There is no need to pin them on because next, wrap ribbon around each tier to hold everything together. Make sure to cover your pins!



Now add any teething rings, rattles, books, or pacifiers you have. I also created bows from the ribbon and added them to various tiers.


Finally, for the top I stuffed the security blanket into the first tier to cover the diapers.


Now it's all ready to go!

1 comment:

  1. This s such a great idea! I have never seen one like this before.

    ReplyDelete